The Mothers’ Aid Society of Canada

Update from Currie, November 24, 2022:

It’s been an interesting few years for medical coercion in Canada.

My involvement in medical consent advocacy relative to the covid scandal required me to pause building resources for the Mothers’ Aid Society of Canada. While MASC is officially a Canadian nonprofit organization, it as yet still needs a board of directors, a bank account, and donations — zero donations have been collected for MASC. The site is also still under construction.

Long road ahead. A rocky one behind as well. Assault trauma is not the smoothest fuel for action.

That said, please find a complete definition of the nature of obstetric violence here: What is Obstetric Violence? Also of interest: Relevant Canadian Law, and Victim Accounts.

You can connect with me on twitter here, and at substack here, where I am getting back to writing about medical consent, pregnancy and birth, and also the full story of my personal experiences with obstetric violence, among other topics.

Thanks for visiting,

<3 Currie

(2020 site introduction follows)

We are currently developing several tools and resources for mothers who have experienced obstetric violence. In the meantime, if you believe you may have been subjected to obstetric violence, especially if you are interested in pursuing civil or criminal legal action against your attackers, please consider the following:

1) Your medical record is a legal document. You have a right to obtain a full copy of your medical record, which includes progress notes handwritten by staff, as well as fetal heart rate monitor printouts. Contact the hospital in which you gave birth for instructions to obtain your record. Expect to pay a fee of around $30. Expect to be given a digital copy of the record on a CD or thumb drive.

2) Although it is quite possible that police will fail to understand the criminal nature of the obstetric violence you endured, it is important to make a police report anyway. Then, if the police refuse to investigate, bypass them and begin the private prosecution process. Call your local courthouse for instructions to obtain the necessary private prosecution forms and to find out when and where to submit those completed forms.

3) Please contact us directly with any of your questions or concerns. We would like to help you in whatever way we can, including by looking at your medical record with your consent if you would like to provide it, by assessing the ways in which any abuses you suffered may constitute criminal offenses, and by helping you draw up your private prosecution paperwork.